I was nominated for the Liebster Blog Award by Hand Me Downs (I couldn’t find her first name so that will have to do!) How it works: Other bloggers nominate you for this award and you have to answer the 11 questions they pose to you. In addition you provide more info on yourself (11 random facts) and then nominate other bloggers and ask them a new list of questions. So here we go.
Eleven questions from Hand Me Downs
1. What is your favorite thing about being a blogger? I like writing. Period. But I also like it when I write or share something that someone else likes. Whether they find it funny or it helps them in some way. I started blogging to keep my family up-to-date on my life but they never read – old friends and strangers started to read. I kind of like when strangers do, it means maybe I’m interesting.
2. Name 3 Bloggers that inspire you – and their websites.
Hand Me Downs – She writes mostly about parenting and raising a child with Down Syndrome. It’s a very touching blog and I really enjoy reading it.
One A Day – Ashley has an incredible life – after serving an 18-month mission for church, she turned her blog into a daily miracle blog. She has a big heart and she’s gone to Haiti twice and is going back soon (if not already there) to buy Christmas gifts for the orphans she worked with. I love reading her blog and reading the positive experiences in her lives and in the lives of others.
That’s it – apparently I don’t read many inspiring blogs – If you know of any inspiring ones let me know!
3. If you could open up any business, what would it be and why? I used to want to own a bakery, I love to bake. I even talked about running one out of our college apartment. I guess if I didn’t have to go by baker’s hours I would still want to. Other than that I would want a photography studio. I love taking pictures, I’m just not good enough to do it professionally.
4. What makes you smile? Everything. I can’t tell you the number of times people have asked me why I’m smiling. I see the world through a very humorous lens. I’m not saying I don’t have my bad days, but there isn’t much that doesn’t get me smiling. I guess mostly it would be my husband, Chewy, when he dances or when he interacts with the cat.
5. What’s under your bed? Um, DVDs I think. I packed up all my DVDs into these two containers that can slide under my bed.
6. If you could be committed to a cause/charity, which would it be and why? I don’t know of a specific one right now, but if there is one devoted to the family I would join that one. I get really upset when I learn what some schools permit for children (like playing Nicki Minaj for 6-7 year olds – even if you bleep out the swear words it’s not a good message) and I also don’t like when society tries to put its values on children and other members of society. I know i sound crazy when I get going so I try to tone it down for people, but it is something I feel passionately about.
7. If you had a chance to say one thing that would be broadcast to everyone in the world, what would it be? Oh…I don’t know. I guess – enjoy life, even the small moments and make it something you’re proud of.
8. Grab the nearest book. Turn to page 12. Write down the 1st line. “Marie-Laure LeBlanc stands along in her bedroom smelling a leaflet she cannot read.”
9. What kind of person is your alter ego? I’m confused by this questions – are we talking a for reals alter ego or an imaginary one? My imaginary one is famous, confident, and invited to all the late night talk shows because she’s so fun. Sadly, I’m not kidding.
10. What’s your drink? Water! Seriously, the first trimester of pregnancy was really hard because water didn’t taste right and it’s all I wanted but couldn’t stomach it.
11.When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? I had really high aspirations including but not limited to: elementary school teacher, receptionist at the eye doctor (dealing with all those color coded folders) and an actress dating Elijah Wood (seriously, he wad adorable and I had a huge crush on him. My sisters would fake interview me as a movie star and Elijah and I met on a movie set and had been inseparable since). I’m not ashamed.
11 Random Facts About Me
1. I can’t let children win games…they’ve got to earn it. I’m too competitive to hold back, even for kids while playing Candyland.
2. I’m an introvert and a homebody. Chewy was surprised by this on our first date. For years he had assume I was a huge extrovert because I was always throwing parties and traveling with friends. What he didn’t know was that when I threw parties I was around for 10-20 minutes and then I would grab a few close friends, some snacks, and hide in my room (or on a few occasions, left with a friend). And when I traveled – it was mostly with other introverts. We’d see some sites, be done and go read or nap in the hotel room until dinner.
3. I LOVE playing sports and I married a man who could care less…wonk wonk. I did get him to throw a Frisbee with me once.
- I don’t want people to think I’m a crazy cat lady, so I act like I could care less about my cat. But I could die he’s so cute and I love to pet him and I talk to him more than would be deemed normal.
- I take pride in being creepy. I try to scare my husband any opportunity I get and when I talk to people I sometimes try to make my comments as dark as possible (i.e. I know this isn’t a person, but when talking to my cat this morning I told him goodbye forever, he’s lived a good life and I would miss him).
6. I’m HORRIBLE at geography! I hope my life is never on the line because I just recently learned that Ireland, Scotland and England were the same island…yup. I am embarrassed to admit it, but it had to be done.
7. I get addicted to video games…which is probably why I judge people so harshly for playing them. I lucked out – Chewy doesn’t play them at all.
8. I love to make CDs for people. The number of people willing to accept those CDs is dwindling, but I like to do it anyway and have playlists ready to go for friends if they should change their minds.
9. I like to give people nicknames but I can’t operate once someoneasks for one. It just has to come naturally.
10. I’m a narcissist. I could care less about my looks but when I create/write something I want to hear all about it and if you like it (which is why I love getting blog comments).
11. In the spirit of Christmas – I love being able to get the perfect gift for someone. I love giving gifts in general (except the part where it cost money), but when I find just the right gift for someone I will buy it without much thought, no matter if there’s a reason to get them a gift. (I’ve already bought Chewy’s birthday present…his birthday is in February).
11 Questions for Nominees (my apologies I’m not good at coming up with questions)
- What’s most important to you?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- When and why did you start blogging?
- It’s Friday night – what are you likely doing?
- What are three things on your bucket list?
- If you didn’t have to worry about money and current skill level – what would you do for a living?
- What is the last picture you took?
- Who in your life do you admire most?
- What is your greatest accomplishment so far?
- What do you hope to accomplish in the next year?
- What is the scariest thing that has happened to you?